George




My Granddaughter's short story, with echoes of her memories of Vienna

She walks out of the double oak doors onto the street named Bell Avenue. Cobblestones everywhere, even on the road, they feel like a lumpy hard bed on the soles of her feet. In the distance, she hears horses hooves clopping along the uneven ground. When she gets closer, her nose twitches as she sniffs the air smelling of horse droppings. She walks up a few flights of stairs to get to the road behind her building, towering above her were large grey buildings, shaped like grey dull blocks. Dazed and confused is the look on her face, strangers walking by cast glances of judgement as her eyes dart from person to person.

She is a small fragile girl with caramel skin that shimmers in the sunlight and deep blue eyes that remind me of the deepest depth of the sea, her boots are faded brown leather and her long flimsy jacket is jet black. I can see her from across the street, she is beautiful, and when I say beautiful I mean gorgeous. She's that one star in the sky you can see on a foggy night. I'm stunned and paralyzed looking at her from afar with heart eyes and dribble running from the side of my mouth. 


The roaring traffic is keeping me from reaching her.

I can see her dazed and confused face has now come to an end. Her eyes start to water and little droplets run down her face leaving a clear bold line of natural skin where her make-up had been. I am worried myself and start to panic, cars are flowing in from left and right I have no way to cross the road all by myself, I stare at her hoping she will see me.





Her eyes finally latch onto mine, she yells out "GEORGE" her pretty eyes widen and a faint smile is appearing on her face. I run over to her, with not a care in the world, " Georgey! " she says with a inhalation of air. She holds my face and I lick hers with my rough tongue. She pulls the leash out of her pocket and clamps the never ending lead onto my collar. She ties it tighter around my tiny neck before we walk off. Her slim freezing hands reach out to rub my golden furry coat, I smile in my mind and wiggle my silky tail back and forth. She walks off and I can see the morning breath from her mouth as I trail behind her.

Avelia Nikorima
July 2017


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Austria Decides

Leaving

Still thinking about Vienna